Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Anniversary to me.

Today Dec.22, 2008 is a special day for me. Today I have been in the hotel business for 5 years. Wow, I remember answering the random OC Register ad thinking it could be a great challenge and fun to be in Guest Service again.

I spent almost 4 years as an Auditor and now I have made it through 1 year as a daytime Front Desk Agent. There are days when I felt as though I went backwards a little when I started here as I was the Night Audit Supervisor at my old hotel. But I wouldn't go back to that drama.

I sometimes wish I had pushed more as I expected to be a manager by now. But that just means I need to knuckle down and really sell it. Show my higher ups I can do this. I do believe that if the economy wasn't so horrible, I would have been promoted.

I do love this, I do. It has made me happier than I thought I could be at a job. I am amazed at myself though. This has been the one other thing that is stable in my life. Of course, the first is Justin and I. Yes, Justin. I know he likes to be called Jack, but he is still my Justin.

Our relationship has been through its ups and downs, but he and I adapted. I don't know of many people that could have dealt with it. Only my friends Nadine and Gabby (2 other Auditors!) know what I talking about. It takes a strong man and woman to be able to make a life when the world runs on daylight and one member doesn't.

I am just thankful that in this messed up world, I have somewhere that I can call home away from home. And that's here, at the HIE. Sappy, I know, but I have earned my spot here and I'm not going to let it go any time soon.

I am going to keep my feet on the ground but still reach for my dreams. Someday, someday, I will have my own bed and breakfast to retire in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Ruthie. I hope your dream becomes a reality. Somehow I see Salem in your future. I'm not sure how, or when, but the future is out there waiting for you.